My practice focuses exclusively on Mental Health & Treatment Law. I provide legal representation and mental health advocacy to families and individuals when someone is suffering from an untreated mental illness, substance abuse, and/or co-occurring disorders.
I accept a wide array of mental health and substance abuse matters, ranging from:
- Working with families of mentally ill adults and children on mental health planning, obtaining treatment services, and crisis management
- Representing and advocating on behalf of families and patients at facility hearings, administrative hearings, treatment conferences and meetings, and in court
- Litigating LPS and related mental health matters, including violation of patients' rights, involuntary holds, capacity hearings, and LPS conservatorships
- Litigating criminal matters, where the charged individual suffers from mental illness or substance abuse issues — advocating for treatment in lieu of punishment
- Advising and representing physicians and facilities in the mental health and addiction fields
Four factors make my practice unique:
Coordinated legal strategy: Working closely with your designated family members, a dedicated treatment team, any involved governmental agencies, and the courts to address both the case and the underlying causes.
More than 25 years' experience in criminal defense litigation and appeals: I have successfully represented clients charged in criminal cases ranging from homicides to DUIs, and in non-criminal matters, such as conservatorships, DMV hearings, dependency hearings and appeals. I am committed to helping people get treatment instead of punishment, whether this is their first time in the legal system, or have repeatedly failed in diversion and past treatment programs. I don't give up on my clients.
Expertise in helping clients into diversion and treatment programs: Focusing on getting clients in need of treatment to the right programs to address their individual needs, including: Diversion Programs, Drug Court, DUI Court, Mental Health Court, Veterans Diversion, and to other needed treatment options both in and outside of the court system.
Concierge Legal Service: Comprehensive client-directed representation based on the client's needs, not billable hours.